Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wear your home. Literally.


As you know my blog has been based on my major project's concept of wearable shelters and surviving in extreme environments.


At my preliminary crit, I was told that my designs were taking the far safer interpretation of this theme. Agreeably, during the design process I was far more concerned if everything in my collection was wearable and marketable as a ready to wear collection rather than exploring new shape, techniques and materials. I was told my concepts were strong, but it lacked anything daring that would ultimate make my graduate collection something of a stand-out.
To sum it up, I was scared. period.

Of what? Of screwing up big time if I tried anything so out of the box and bizarre, and ending up with no collection, or anything remotely worthy to send down the runway. What if none of it worked out? What if I ran out of time?
There were too many questions unanswered.

ANYWAY.

After a mini break (ok, a nice, big, lengthy break) from my project, I've been trying to pump some creative juice and get re-inspired by what it was that made my collection so exciting to me.

The work of knit artist 'Mafuyu' and Yoshikazu Yamagata explores a similar idea for her project 'My Town in my Home'. Regarding her work, Mafuyu says that:

“I think the image or the concept of a “house” exists in everyone’s mind regardless of shape or form - as a “home”, “a cozy place” or “a space for family communication.” Therefore, the common denominator between him [Yamagata, the fashion designer with whom she collaborated] and myself might be a “house."
Quote from neo-nomad



Although my interpretation won't quite be so literal, I was inspired at their innovation and daring approach. Mafuyu and Yamagata have really captured the idea of home-sickness and comfort, and the longing to carry this feeling around with you.

Images from writtenafterwards


I also found this "Wear Your Seat' backpack designed by French designer Olivier Peyricot and had a nice little chuckle.

Source: geekologie

No comments:

Post a Comment