Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bluebird AR: an online drama

In an effort to make my concept richer and more.. complete (at the moment if somebody asked me to describe it in a sentence, I would NOT have a single clue as to where to start), I tried developing a story that may or may not help me find some much-needed cohesion in my collection. At the moment, my collection is envisioning a future reality where our clothes become so much a part of our everyday lives, it's almost like a walking shelter. I want to communicate this through pieces that are able to transform and/or demonstrate more than one function. What I've been trying to develop is this future reality: what's it like in this world? How are people's activities different to now and how can I design a collection that communicates the way people's behaviours and activities have changed when compared to today's society?

During my research, I stumbled across a new ABC show called Bluebird AR that has just recently aired a couple of weeks ago. What's fascinating is that the 'show' unfolds online, in real-time, and is a little bit like alternate reality gaming where the viewers participate in the viewing and development of the show's plot.


I was a little confused at first, so if you guys are, you're not the only one. But viewers can register to be part of the show by solving clues that the director has plotted, and in a way hold some control in the way the show unravels. The characters are all fictional, but viewers can interact with these 'characters' online through portals like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Flicker as if you were really part of the show. It's an innovative project that explores new avenues for audience interaction. This inspired me to project futuristic scenarios where we not only 'watch' a TV show (if TV is still the most ideal platform for entertainment? Perhaps online will take over?), we participate in the drama, contribute to the plot and ultimately, we viewers become the directors.


Not only was this concept stimulating, the plot of the show itself was particularly interesting. It centres around a secret geo-engineering project (deliberate manipulation of the Earth's atmosphere to counteract global warming). It made me think of how unpredictable the weather will continue to become over the years and how this will affect the style of the clothes we wear. Will we dress to accommodate extreme weather changes throughout the day? How can I use this idea to assist my design work?


Bluebird AR will continue to play online for app. six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment